The main pathways and pedestrian routes in the school grounds will be gritted where possible to create a safe route into school. This will happen on both the Infant and Junior School sites (please check the Junior School website).
In the event of snow during the school day:
- We will regularly risk assess the school site and the surrounding area and take advice from the Local Authority
- If a decision is made to close the school, we will send a text message asking parents to pick up the children.
- We also ask that parents use their own social networks (text/phone) to contact as many parent friends as possible to make sure everyone receives the message as quickly as possible.
- We will continue to contact parents until every child has been picked up safely.
- Our usual rules will apply, we will not let a child go home with a friend without your permission.
- Our prime concern is everyone’s safety.
In the event of snow overnight:
- A decision will be made by 7.30am
- The decision will be based on a risk assessment made by members of staff/governors who live locally and can make an assessment of the condition of roads and pathways on and around the school site. This will include looking at the weather forecast for the rest of the day and the number of staff who are able to get to school to ensure appropriate staff: pupil ratios to keep the children safe.
- The decision of the risk assessment will be communicated via the school website, www.poulner-inf.hants.sch.uk , twitter (@PoulnerInfant) and parents will also receive a text message.
- School closures will also be announced on the Hampshire County Council website – www.hants.gov.uk/schoolclosures
- If you do not have access to the internet, school closures are generally announced on the local radio stations: Wave 105, Heart and BBC Radio Solent
Re-opening the School
This will be announced via the following methods:
- School website & twitter
- HCC website
- Text messaging
Once the children return to school there is every possibility that the weather will still be very cold and some snow. Please make sure the children wrap up warm and bring their hats, gloves and scarves as well as the appropriate footwear.
If school remains open and circumstances where you live prevent you from being able to bring your child to school, it is expected that you will contact school to let us know,
It is important for parents to note that we may not always get the decision right. We ask for your patience and goodwill at these difficult times.